Independent TOEFL essay - TPO 12: A/D? It is better to have broad knowledge of many academic subjects than to specialize in one specific subject.

There is no doubt that every single subject area is so broad that nobody can specialize in all of them. However, some people are inclined toward the opinion that it is better to broaden the knowledge in many academic subjects whereas others hold exactly the opposite perspective, believing that everybody should become expert in one specific subject area. The way I see it, we should major in a certain field of study due to the effects of knowledge on future life and the situations that we encounter. What follows is the elaboration of my viewpoint.

The first reason that immediately comes to mind is that the knowledge has a great impact on our career and professional life. In this regard, the man who has a deep knowledge of a certain subject area faces better job opportunities than the man who has a shallow knowledge of several subjects. Nowadays, companies and corporations are looking for a professional expert who can cope quite well with their duties and profession which requires a deep knowledge of issue. Therefore, a person with profound information about a single topic can deal with occupational matters very well.

Another equally important reason is that every subject is so broad that anybody cannot get deep information about every subject and superficial understanding of a topic will cause serious problems. That is to say, although knowing about diverse academic subjects gives a breadth of vision, modern issues are so complicated that one needs knowledge of great depth to solve them. For example, the economy of each country has a worldwide spillover effect that only an economy expert can interpret the situations and find solutions to the problems which in turn, needs a profound understanding of economics and the relationship between countries. As a result, a superficial knowledge of many academic subjects cannot help to solve complicated situations.

Conclusively, if one assesses the aforementioned effects of specializing in one certain field, one soon realizes that profound understanding of the issues plays a decisive role in every individual's future life and every complicated occasion. This means that deep knowledge of one subject outweighs superficial education of several subjects because it provides better job opportunities and solutions for today's complicated situations.

No. of Words: 369 while No. of Different Words: 184

We are expecting:
No. of Words: 350 while No. of Different Words: 200

---------------------