Essay topics: TPO 14 – task 2: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
It is more beneficial to travel in your own country rather than traveling to foreign countries.
We live in the era of technology in which traveling to foreign countries has become an indisputable part of our life. People travel to foreign countries for many reasons such as business, tourism, and adventure. Some individuals agree that people benefit more from traveling in their own country than from travelling to foreign countries; some others disagree. From my perspective, I oppose the statement based on two significant reasons.
To begin with, people gain more experience and information from travelling to foreign countries. Visiting a place that is different in various aspects could be very eye-opening and instructive. The veracity of this claim can be evaluated through a meticulous observation on the mass of examples; almost all successful businesspersons such as Steve Jobs, Bill Gates used to travel to foreign countries in order to analyze the market, evaluate their business locally in other countries, and to expand their market their. By using the experience from these travels, a smart businessperson can make important decision in order to prosper his or her business. Moreover, people can learn about other cultures and increase their knowledge. For instance, in my first travel to India, I saw distinct lifestyles and customs, which were an excellent demonstration of their culture. That trip, although it was very short, was very useful and enriching for me.
Beside the above-mentioned reason, traveling to foreign countries can help a country prosper economically. New technologies can be learnt and brought to the country when sophisticated and educated persons travel to foreign countries, which would be very beneficial for the developing countries. A vivid example can be given to shed light on what was alluded to above. PhD students or employees working at R&D division of companies can register for a post-doc education and learn more about a new technology. When they come back to their country, numerous industries and research institutes can use the novel technology in order to expand their business. This would be very beneficial for developing countries. With the advent of new technology, many job opportunities in the industries would become available and the country would excel economically.
Having discussed this issue from this point of view, I would rather to look at it from another viewpoint. Some argue that traveling in their own country aid them to know their own culture better. Indeed, people can help their society more if they get to know their compatriots and their demands better. If they focus on foreign countries, they may forget about their country and their people.
All in all, although some sophisticated people may prove the otherwise, I am still against the statement. As I elaborated in the body paragraphs, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.
- The following memorandum is from the business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurants."Recently, butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. This change, however, has had little im (50)
- The following appeared as part of an article in a business magazine."A recent study rating 300 male and female Mentian advertising executives according to the average number of hours they sleep per night showed an association between the amount of sleep t (65)
- In an attempt to improve highway safety, Prunty County last year lowered its speed limit from 55 to 45 miles per hour on all county highways. But this effort has failed: the number of accidents has not decreased, and, based on reports by the highway patro (60)
- The council of Maple County, concerned about the county's becoming overdeveloped, is debating a proposed measure that would prevent the development of existing farmland in the county. But the council is also concerned that such a restriction, by limiting (55)
- Fifteen years ago, Omega University implemented a new procedure that encouraged students to evaluate the teaching effectiveness of all their professors. Since that time, Omega professors have begun to assign higher grades in their classes, and overall stu (60)
- The following appeared in a memo from the director of student housing at Buckingham College."To serve the housing needs of our students, Buckingham College should build a number of new dormitories. Buckingham's enrollment is growing and, based on current (50)
- Nature's Way, a chain of stores selling health food and other health-related products, is opening its next franchise in the town of Plainsville. The store should prove to be very successful: Nature's Way franchises tend to be most profitable in areas wher (60)
- Twenty years ago, Dr. Field, a noted anthropologist, visited the island of Tertia. Using an observation-centered approach to studying Tertian culture, he concluded from his observations that children in Tertia were reared by an entire village rather than (80)
- The following is a recommendation from the Board of Directors of Monarch Books."We recommend that Monarch Books open a café in its store. Monarch, having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years, has a large customer base because (60)
- Arctic deer live on islands in Canada's arctic regions. They search for food by moving over ice from island to island during the course of the year. Their habitat is limited to areas warm enough to sustain the plants on which they feed and cold enough, at (60)