Home >> .

TPO- 54 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Governments should spend more money in support of the arts than in support of athletics such as state-sponsored Olympic teams. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

DAISY CHANG's picture

How to spend money in order to make a country great is always a big issue for governments. As far as I am concerned, I tend to disagree with the statement, and I believe spending money on athletic events could bring more benefits for governments. My reasons are as follows.

Governments care about the economic growth of their countries, and putting more budgets on athletic activities is profitable in the long run. To further elaborate, though cultivating state-sponsored Olympic team might be costly at first, once the teams become stronger, more people will notice those teams, and it would definitely bring the economic growth. In 1960s, Japanese government started to take a lot of effort and budgets on their national and Olympic baseball teams. Initially, many people disagreed with the decision government made. But nowadays, the baseball teams in Japan are worldwide famous. Many baseball fans from different countries will intentionally come to Japan just to watch a baseball game and even buy a lot of products of baseball players because they fancy those players. Consequently, baseball events have played an important role in Japan's economy.

In addition, governments want to own high reputation worldwide, and the more budgets in support of athletics, the higher reputation governments could get. To clarify that, sports events are eye-catching events around the world, if a government cultivate their national sports teams, their team can have more chances win the competitions. Accordingly, many sports fans will start to notice the country and want to understand how a government does to make a compelling team. At this time, all of compliments will come. For example, in my country, our government put a lot of effort on training our wrestling Olympic teams. Thus, Our wrestling players are almost able to get champions or secondary awards in every competition. As a result, many worldwide media started to broadcast how our government help our Olympic team win the contest, and our country win a high reputation on training national sports events.

To conclude, I think governments should indeed spend more money on supporting athletics activities, because it is a profitable investment, and a government can gain higher reputation.