TPO 54 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement Governments should spend more money in support of the arts than in support of athletics such as state sponsored Olympic teams Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer

I agree with the argument that governments should spend more money in support of arts than in support of athletics. I will bring up three statements to support my idea in the following essay.
First and foremost, it is a fact that art is less appreciated than sports among common people. For example, there is no international annual art event that has as much recognition as the Olympics. Also, while most people probably know their countries most famous athletes, they may not know their most famous artists or architects, even ones that have left their mark in history. This fact can also be observed from a nation's television programs. Take Taiwan as an example. Taiwan has many sports channels, but in more than 100 channels on TV, there is not one single channel that has a program fully dedicated to broadcasting news on arts. This likely means that the public is not interested enough in arts that such a program would be profitable. Therefore, the government should spend more money to help fund and advertise art-related programs and events more, so that the public would notice and learn to appreciate art.
Second, artists make much less money and have more trouble finding jobs when compared to athletes. In Taiwan, art majors or music majors have few choices after graduation. If they do not plan on continuing their studies, they may only be able to find jobs that cannot enable them to fully express their creativity, or let them gain recognition, such as in the advertisement industry. Very few people are able to become actual artists and be able to create art freely and make a name for themselves. People who aspire to become athletes on the other hand, have many sports teams in Taiwan to join in and get a chance to become a full-time athlete. There is a major difference in the chances of becoming successful in these two separate fields, thus I believe the government should put more funding into the art industry to create jobs and support those who want to become full–time artists.
Finally, continuing the second argument, it is a fact that the art industry is much less funded than the sport industry. For example, universities in the US spend millions of dollars on baseball, football and all kinds of sports events, with some universities even depending on games to make profit for running the school. That is part of the reason why even when the COVID-19 outbreak is still ongoing and affecting many universities, games between schools are still being held. However, the same cannot be said for arts. During this outbreak, all kinds of arts have suffered greatly. Music concerts have been forced to cancel, art galleries have closed down, and the government is not doing much to support these artists that have lost their source of income. This will force many artists and to quit their profession and try to find a job in other fields, while discouraging people who want to become artists to seek out this profession. This in turn leads to less artists in the industry and less recognition from the public, creating a downward spiral of consequence. Thus it is of utmost importance that the government put more funding into supporting artists and in the industry.
In conclusion, artists are much less recognized by the public and receive much less support from the government. Thus, I strongly stand by the argument that governments should spend more money in support of arts.