Essay topics: Chaco houses
The reading states the usefulness of the Chaco houses and provides three theories of support. However, the professor explains that none of these arguments upon the houses are convincing and refutes each of the author's claims.
First, the article claims that the structures were purely used as residential homes since they look alike to those structures utilize for Southwest societies, in which they have been living for centuries. The professor refutes this point by saying that the outside of the houses, indeed, look similar to later apartment buildings. Nevertheless, the inside of the residences cast doubt regarding many people living there. If many dwellers would have lived there, Chaco Houses had lots of fireplaces, but they did not have them. Therefore, this hypothesis cannot be supported.
Second, the reading posits the houses were made to store food. Because the gigantic space available, it is suggested that the Chaco homes were designed to keep grain maize and save it for long periods. However, the professor says that this theory is unsupported by the evidence. Moreover, some excavations were performed there, and any maize remains have been found. The professor mentions that if the houses were used to store maize, many containers or residuals of maize would have been found.
Third, the article says that since a pile of old materials, as broken pots, were discovered in the structures, the houses could have been used for ceremonial rituals. The professor opposes to this point by explaining that other materials beside broken pots were discovered as well, such as construction materials. Thus, the broken pots were left over when constructing. Therefore, this last hypothesis also is unsupported based on the evidence.
- Agree/ disagree. the automobile is destroying our quality of life. (95)
- A fossil skeleton of a dinosaur called Sinosauropteryx, preserved in volcanic ash, was discovered in Liaoning, China, in 1996. Interestingly, the fossil included a pattern of fine lines surrounding the skeletal bones. Some paleontologists interpret the li (90)
- Students learn more in large lectures classes than in small discussion classes. Agree/disagree (80)
- In some countries, teenagers have jobs while they are still students. Do you think this is a good idea? Support your opinion by using specific reasons and details. (33.3333)
- Reading： Private collectors have been selling and buying fossils, the petrified remains of ancient organisms, ever since the eighteenth century. In recent years, however, the sale of fossils, particularly of dinosaurs and other large vertebrates, has gr (80)
- Car manufacturers and governments have been eagerly seeking a replacement for the automobile's main source of power, the internal-combustion engine. By far the most promising alternative source of energy for cars is the hydrogen-based fuel-cell engine, wh (90)
- Chaco houses (65)
- dinosaurs endotherm (80)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? A zoo has no useful purpose.Use specific reasons and examples to explain your answer. (95)
- Plants can provide food, shelter, clothing, or medicine. What is one kind of plant that is important to you or the people in your country? Use specific reasons and details to explain your choice. (90)