Starting in the 1960s and continuing until the 1980s, sailors in Russian submarines patrolling the North Atlantic and Arctic Ocean would occasionally hear strange sounds. These underwater noises reminded the submarine crews of frog croaks, so they called

Starting in the 1960s and continuing until the 1980s, sailors in Russian submarines patrolling the North Atlantic and Arctic Ocean would occasionally hear strange sounds. These underwater noises reminded the submarine crews of frog croaks, so they called the sounds “quackers” (from the Russian word for frog sounds). The sources of the sound seemed to be moving with great speed and agility; however, the submarines’ sonar (a method of detecting objects underwater) was unable to detect any solid moving objects in the area. There are several theories about what might have caused the odd sounds.

The first theory suggests that the strange noises were actually the calls of male and female ocra whales during a courtship ritual. Orca whales are known to inhabit the areas where the submarines were picking up the bizarre noises. Orcas have been studied extensively, and the sounds they make when trying to attract a male are similar to those that the submarines were detecting.

A second idea is that the sounds were caused by giant squid. Giant squids are giant marine invertebrates that live deep in the ocean and prey on large fish. They are difficult to detect by sonar because they have soft bodies with no skeleton. Not much is known about giant squid behavior, but their complex brains suggest they are intelligent animals. It is possible they have the ability to emit sound, and perhaps they approached the submarines out of curiosity.

A third theory suggests the Russian submarines were picking up stray sounds from some military technology, like another country’s submarines that were secretly patrolling the area. Perhaps the foreign submarines did not register on sonar because they were using a kind of technology specifically designed to make them undetectable by sonar. The strange frog like sounds may have been emitted by the foreign submarines unintentionally.

Both the article and the lecture discuss the possible causes of the 'quackers sounds', which were heard by sailors in Russian submarines. The article provides three theories for those odd sounds, however in the lecture the professor says that there is still a debate on the source of those sounds and rejects each of the readings' theories.

First, the passage claims that the calls of male and female orca whales during a courtship could have made those sounds. The professor contradict this statement by saying that this theory is highly unlikely. She says that it is true that the orca whales live in that place but they live near the surface of the ocean, while the submarines are deep in the water. Moreover, orca whales are detectable by submarines, while the submarines did not detect the source of the noises.

Second, the lecture asserts that the noise could have been caused by giant squid, which are not detectable by sonars. The professor rejects this by explaining that the sounds started in 1960s and continued till the 1980s, but the squids are still living in the ocean. Therefore, they could not be the cause of the sounds.

Finally, the third theory proposes that the sounds could be from some military technology from another country. The professor opposes this idea by saying that the source of the sounds moved around and changed its direction fast. Also, they did not have the engine noise. But even today, we do not have submarines which could move that fast and engine motors without noise.

the noise could have been caused by giant squid, which are not detectable by sonars.
the noise could have been caused by giant squid, which is not detectable by sonars.