Essay topics: Summarize the points made in the lecture, being sure to explain how they cast doubt on the specific methods proposed in the reading passage.
In recent years, many frog species around the world have declined in numbers or even gone extinct due to changes in their environment. These population declines and extinctions have serious consequences for the ecosystems in which frogs live; for example, frogs help play a role in protecting humans by eating disease-carrying insects. Several methods have been proposed to solve the problem of declining frog populations.
First, frogs are being harmed by pesticides, which are chemicals used to prevent insects from damaging farm crops such as corn and sugarcane. Pesticides often spread from farmland into neighboring frog habitats. Once pesticides enter a frog’s body, they attack the nervous system, leading to severe breathing problems. If laws prohibited the farmers from using harmful pesticides near sensitive frog populations, it would significantly reduce the harm pesticides cause to frogs.
A second major factor in frog population decline is a fungus that has spread around the world with deadly effect. The fungus causes thickening of the skin, and since frogs use their skin to absorb water, infected frogs die of dehydration. Recently, researchers have discovered several ways to treat or prevent infection, including antifungal medication and treatments that kill the fungus with heat. Those treatments, if applied on a large scale, would protect sensitive frog populations from infection.
Third, in a great many cases, frog populations are in decline simply because their natural habitats are threatened. Since most frog species lay their eggs in water, they are dependent on water and wetland habitats. Many such habitats are threatened by human activities, including excessive water use or the draining of wetlands to make them suitable for development. If key water habitats such as lakes and marshes were better protected from excessive water use and development, many frog species would recover.
The articles states that there is a large decline in the frog species and provide 3 reasons of support. However, the professor explains that there lies a problem with each reason.
First, the reading posits that the frogs are being harmed by the use of pesticides, which farmer uses to prevent their crops from insects. The professor refutes this point by saying that banning pesticides is not economically practical, it will likely to cause more damage to the farmers.
Second, the article claims that the frog population is largely affected by the spread of fungus, which prevent them from absorbing water, and consequently, die of dehydration. On the other hand, the professor refutes the aforementioned statement by saying that it will not be reliable to treat each and every frog, that's it will be difficult at larger scale. In addition, fungus treatment of frog will not prevent it from passing to its offspring. And then the treatment will have to be performed on the child frog, ultimately, increasing the expenses.
Third, the reading says the decline in frog populations are largely responsible because their natural habitats are threatened. However, the professor disagree with the statement say that it is largely due to global warming wetland, lake and marshes are declining. Protecting key water habitats such as lakes and marshes is not likely to prevent the decline in the frog population. Despite, appropriate should be taken to prevent global warming.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|1 month 1 week ago||mared83||73||Read full essay|
|1 year 3 months ago||Masoud3042||3||Read full essay|
|1 year 6 months ago||dimplek||3||Read full essay|
|1 year 6 months ago||Wonderful||85||Read full essay|
|1 year 6 months ago||AR1||76||Read full essay|
|1 year 6 months ago||pouria_akb||86||Read full essay|
|1 year 7 months ago||ajulyav||3||Read full essay|
- Summarize the points made in the lecture, being sure to explain how they cast doubt on the specific methods proposed in the reading passage.In recent years, many frog species around the world have declined in numbers or even gone extinct due to changes in (71)
- People attend college or university for many different reasons (for example, new experiences, career preparation, increased knowledge). Why do you think people attend college or university? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (78)
- The most effective strategy for a company to use to maintain and increase profits over the long term is to maintain high ethical standards Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons and (50)
- “Claim: Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student’s major field of study.Reason: Acquiring knowledge of various academic disciplines is the best way to become truly educated.” (54)
- The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company.“According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen-produced movies than in a (50)
- The best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government, industry, or other fields is by instilling in them a sense of cooperation, not competition.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree (50)
- The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station.“Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this time period, most of the co (50)
- “A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college.”Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the pos (55)
- Pirouettes Ballet School is the clear choice for any child. Of all the dance schools in Elmtown, Pirouettes has the most intensive program, and our teachers have danced in the most prestigious ballet companies all over the world. Many of our students have (66)
- Mass media and the internet have caused people’s attention spans to get shorter. However, the overall effect has been positive: while people are less able to focus on one thing, they more than make up for it with an enhanced ability to sort through lar (50)