TOEFL integrated writing Chevalier de Seingalt

TOEFL integrated writing: Chevalier de Seingalt

The Reading passage and the lecture are both about the Chevalier life and memoir. From their contexts, it can be stated that the discussion is about the accuracy of these memoir. While the author of the text casts doubt about it´s accuracy, because the past events could have being distorted or invented by author, the lecturer completely refutes the each one of the arguments in the article. Therefore, arguing that these explanations are faulty.

Firstly, it is said by the lecturer that Chevalier borrowed money from a Swiss merchant not because he was poor. Conversely, he had a lot of Money in form of properties that should be sold to get Money, so he had borrow Money while wait for the cash. This directly opposes the Reading passage that denotes that Chevalier was poor in reality but liked to ostente a glamorous life that was not his reality.

Secondly, the professor explains that Chevalier used to write down all his conversations with Voltaire the following day and keep these anotations for many years. Thus, he cannot forget each detail of the conversation. This idea disagress with the article that mentions that these reported conversations cannot be accurate because were written many years later, for this reason Chevalier could not remember the exact contente and phrases of the conversation.

Finaly, the text mentions that Chevalier should be released by political and monetary influence of his friends. The lecturer, on the other hand, believes that he scaped from prision by making a hole and clibimg the roof as he stated because government documents prove that the ceilling was repaired after the scape.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.