TPO 01 Integrated Writingnext19 51 HIDE TIMEDirections You have 20 minutes to plan and write your response Your response will be judged on the basis of the quality of your writing and on how well your response presents the points in the lecture and the

The writer presents the advantages of offering employees the option of working four days a week. The speaker, on the other hand, doubts that this policy would improve companies' profits, employees' life quality or the national economy as a whole.

First, according to the reading passage, by allowing employees to do a four-day workweek, companies can reduce the amount of major errors at work thanks to well-rested and alert workers. Also, these workers will be offer a lower pay rate, which enables companies to hire more staff without additional payroll costs. In contrast, the professor asserts that this will only force companies to spend a larger expenditure on training and offering medical benefits for more workers. This is not to mention that more office facilities will be needed if there are more people. As a result, the four-day workweek policy will only burden companies with more extra costs.

Second, it is argued by the writer that the choice of working four days per week will reduce the rate of unemployment as more people will be hired to do the rest of the workload. The speaker doesn't agree with this argument. He points out that it is not certain more jobs will be available for recruiting new staff. In actuality, companies may have higher expectation towards the amount of work an employee can tackle in a four-day workweek, meaning they would have to work overtime, which only leads to job dissatisfaction.

Third, the writer mentions that working 4 days a week would benefit individual workers as they could have more leisure time to enjoy life. However, the professor believes that this option would probably do more harm than good. As workers work fewer hours in a week, they are more prone to lose their job stability. In other words, not only will their chance of being promoted at the workplace be slimmer, they will also be the first to be laid off when an economic turnover happens since corporates prefer full-time workers or managers who can supervise for the entire workweek. Thus, it is not guaranteed that 4-day workweek workers could enjoy better quality of life as compared to their 5-day workweek colleagues.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.