TPO 05 Integrated Writing Task As early as the twelfth century A D the settlements of Chaco Canyon in New Mexico in the American Southwest were notable for their great houses massive stone buildings that contain hundreds of rooms and often stand th

TPO-05 - Integrated Writing Task As early as the twelfth century A.D., the settlements of Chaco Canyon in New Mexico in the American Southwest were notable for their "great houses," massive stone buildings that contain hundreds of rooms and often stand th

The passage introduces the topic of Massiv building, as one of the settlements of chaco Cayon. According to the passage, there is no solid explanation for the purpose of such a big house. But however, the author comes up with three theories to explain the use of such a huge structure. whereas, The professor in the lecture contradicted the idea by saying that the mentioned argument is not convincing.

To begin with, the first theory claim that the chaco structure was used for residential purpose because the same style of houses is seen in southwest societies and Taos, New Mexico, which are currently being used by the citizens to reside. On the other hand, the professor argues that although it may look like an apartment from the outside, it is actually different from the inside because there are only a few fireplaces in the building. if this would have been a residential area then there should be more than 10 fire areas for the families

Next, the theory claim that the chaco building must be used as a storage center because the main crop of chaco society was maize and that can be stored to serve as a long-lasting supply of food. so, the chaco structure must have been used to store the maize crop. While the professor oppose the theory by casting a doubt that if it was a storage place for maize crops then why have not we found any trace of grain or any big storage container.

Lastly, The author proposes that the chaco house must have been used as a ceremonial center because archaeologist has found a large amount of broken pot which prove that it must have been used during the function. whereas, the professor again contradicts the theory by giving an example of another structure, Mounto area, where during excavation large amount of material was found including building material. Later, it was declared that the building was used as a trash area, in past. so, it can be possible that the chaco building must have also been used to deposit pot as a waste

Write the essay in 20 minutes.