TPO 07 Integrated Writing TaskIn an effort to encourage ecologically sustainable forestry practices an international organization started issuing certifications to wood companies that meet high ecological standards by conserving resources and recycling

The writer presents reasons why wood companies in America will probably not adopt ecologically friendly practices in order to receive eco-certification. The speaker, on the other hand, offers arguments as for why wood companies in the States will eventually have interests in pursuing this certification.

First, according to the reading passage, the issue with chasing eco-friendly certification in America is that its native consumers won’t have faith in the eco-certification labels due to the excessive exposure to advertising claims. However, the lecturer rebuts that consumers won't treat all labels and advertisements the same. In fact, they can distinguish between companies’ self-claimed labels and labels certified by independent organizations with good reputation. As a result, consumers who care about the environment will favor certified wood products over self-labeled mediocre ones.

Second, the writer claims that the high price of eco-certified wood will discourage consumers from favoring them over cheaper uncertified wood products. That being said, the speaker cites a study that states consumers' decision is controlled by the price only when there is a significant discrepancy between prices of competing products. Therefore, a small amount of costs added to certified wood price won't affect customers' buying decision, especially if they value preserving and protecting the forest.

Third, while the author believes America wood businesses will only care about domestic consumers, the lecturer correctly notes that these companies will have to pay attention to foreign competition sooner or later. He further explains that if American companies are slow in keeping up with international developments, their foreign competitors will come to the market and capture consumers by offering products that American companies don't have due to the lack of eco-certification.