TPO 17 Integrated Writing Task

The article and the lecture are both about the detrimental effects caused by human activities due to the proliferation of human population. While the article posts three theories to suppose that human activities might cause the population of bird to decrease, the lecture casts doubt on all the theories. The lecture contends they are all unconvincing.

First of all, according to the reading, the size of bird habitats would shrink or even disappear since the construction of human cities. However, the professor challenges this speculation and continues to say that people live in city might complain about the big size of bird groups. This is because she holds an opinion that although some type of bird habitats would disappear, human-being would build other habitats, which might cause the growth of some specific bird species like seagull or pigeon.

Secondly, the author of the passage contains that, as the growing of agricultural activities, the habitats in rural areas would shrink too. The lecturer disagrees with its stance and points out that the speed of enlargement of agricultural activities is not as soon as expected. Besides, there will be introduction of productive plants to decrease the dependence of the size of farm.

At last, the reading supposes the abuse of chemical pesticides will also excert negative effects on bird. The speaking refutes this by putting forward that scientists has been working on pest-resist crops, which has self-protection mechenism without outer pesticides. Besides, the professor admits that those chemical materials are detrimental to birds, but she also mentions people has endeavored to reduce the use of those toxic products.