TPO 18

TPO 18

The reading specifies that the population a type of evergreen tree that was very common decreased in recent years and provides three theories to halt its extinction. The professor, however, explains that none of the theories are satisfactory and refutes them all.

First, based on the reading, one way is to relocate Torreya to the location that helps it thrive and multiply abundantly for thousands of years since its weather was suitable for Torreya's growth. In contrast, the lecturer says that because of global warming the weather has become warmer in comparison to the past. Many wetlands become dry and the cool weather of microclimate got warmer. Hence, it is possible that planting the seed of Torreya in the same location as in the past, could not help it to survive.

Second, the passage suggests that move Torreya to a cooler and different location from Florida since its seed has been planted in northern forests and grows well. Nevertheless, the professor states that the same work has been done on a different tree which is called a black tree. It was in a danger to become completely eliminated and scientists plant it in the north. Unfortunately, it spreads quickly and kills other plants that were colonized there. These plants were also in danger of complete destruction and therefore, this method can have negative outcomes.

Third, according to the lecture, another way is to move seeds and saplings of Torreya from its environment and keep it in research centers in a wisely monitored environment. On the contrary, the professor claims that situations and conditions in the research lab do not let the tree survive from different diseases. For this way to become effective, a large population of it should be planted in the lab but consequently, the wild conditions needed for it can not be met.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.