TPO 69

TPO 69

The reading specifies that the cave paintings of Lascaux which are among the finest instances of art, have been used for the porpuse of a successful hunt and provide three reasons. The professor, however, states that there are not enough supproting evidences that paintings were used to ensure a successful hunt and refutes them all.

First, based on the reading, the subject of most paintings are large mammals such as bison and wild horses which have been hunted by the Paleolithic people. In contrrast, the lecturer explains that most of the painted animals in the cave is not been hunted by the people such as cat and one kind of dinasours. Moreover, rain dears is one of animals that been captured a lot which its deciption is not been painted.

Second, according to the lecture, there are paints that depict humans cover their heads by using animal heads and based on some traditional cultures to disguise themselves. Nevertheless, the professor asserts that the deciption of human figures is not showing any signs of hunting. Most of the time, it shows humans in horrizental and sleeping manners which can mean they are relaxing.

Third, the reading says that there was a common belief that depicting an event can cause its reality. This magical power can make events really happend. The professor contradicts this point by saying that the painted event does not mean it really going to happend. Some of the people was trying to communicate with the spirits of their relative and therefore, it is plausible the role of magical power was to commute to their ancestors in a especial ceremony.