TPO 12

TPO 12

The reading specifies that the girl in the full-length portrait is Jane Austin and provides three reasons. The professor, however, believes that the mentioned reasons are not convincing and refutes them all.

First, according to the reading, the Jane Austen family gave permission that the portrait is used as an illustration in an edition of her letters. Nevertheless, the professor states that Jan Austen has died for 70 years and his family member or relatives did not see her. Therefore, Austen's family could not recognize the portrait to be Jane Austen since they did not see him.

Second, based on the reading, the sketch that Austen's sister drew is the same as the portrait. For example, the eyebrows, nose, and overall shape of the face resemble Cassandra's drawing. In contrast, the speaker explains that the portrait could be a relative of Jane Austen. She had a great number of family members and an extended family that could resemble her a lot. Furthermore, the portrait can be one of his distant cousins that has a same face.

Third, the article asserts that Ozias Humphrey the painter of the portrait was very professional and expensive to be hired and only Austen's family could hire him. On the contrary, the lecturer states that the famous painter did not use the canvas until Jane Austen was 26 years old. Therefore, the portrait that has been painted on a canvas could not be her, since she was an older girl at that time the painting was painted.