TPO 22 Integrated Writing Task

Both the passage and the lecture argue about ethanol fuel. It is an alternative to gasoline in the United States. Critics don't know if it is a good replacement for gasoline. However, the professor is convinced that Ethanol is a good alternative. Both discuss 3 reasons.

First, the passage claims that ethanol releases carbon dioxide into the atmosphere when it is burned for fuel, just like the gasoline. It doesn't help the global warming. Nevertheless, the professor agrees with the CO2 released to the athmosphere, but adds that growing plants contrareacts that. The corn plants absorb CO2 from the air. In consequence, it removes the gas they produce.

Some farms use those plants for feeding animals such as cows and chickens. The passage is concerned about the problem for the animals if industries use corn plants to make the fuel. Despite the problem, the professor is sure that the part of the plant used for fuel isn't the one that animals eat. Then, that wouldn't be a problem at all.

On the other hand, there's the problem about the price. The government needs give to ethanol producers tax subsidies for lowering the price. If they wouldn't do that, the price wouldn't be as close as the gasoline. The professor solves that problem saying that the price is going to be equal in the future. The more people uses it, the more production is needed and the lower is the price available. The cost would be reduced by 40% if 3 times the people that uses it today, used it in the future.
edit