TPO 28- Robert E. Peary was a well-known adventurer and arctic explorer who in 1909 set out to reach the North Pole. When he returned from the expedition, he claimed to have reached the pole on April 7, 1909. This report made him into an international cel

PRACHI DAVE's picture

The reading and the article are both contradicting with each other, in terms of Robert E. Peary exploration to the North Pole in 37 days. The author of the reading presents three theories in favor of Robert's trip to the North Pole. However, the lecturer casts doubt about the claim presented in the article and negates all the ideas explained in the paragraph.
First of all, according to the article, National Geographic Society confirmed that Peary was able to reach the North Pole by investigating his records and equipment. On the contrary, the speaker undermines the argument presented in the passage. Furthermore, he discusses that since the society was made by Peary's close friend who funded his trip to the North pole, the decision by the Society was not convincing. On top of that, they did not investigate his records satisfactorily. Thus, this theory is not acceptable.
Secondly, the author states that British explorer named Tom Avery recently finished the same trip in less than 37 days by using the same techniques and thereby, It was a proof that Peary could able to finish that trip within the same time. Although the lecturer refutes this by asserting that Avery and Peary had traveled two different trips. He added that although Avery used the same dogsled as Peary had, the weight and food supplies were not the same. To illustrate this, Avery was provided his food through airplane, and he traveled in a favorable weather condition. All these ways, his trip was different from Peary's trip.
Finally, it is mentioned in the paragraph that Peary's trip was acceptable by measuring the shadow in his photographs which was taken by him during traveling to the North Pole. On the other hand, the speaker again opposes the suggestion and describes that the photographs were faded and unclear since it has been taken long back. Researchers cannot confirm his trip to the North Pole by just looking at the shadow in the photographs which are too fussy and blurred. Hence, this idea is also unconvincing.