TPO-33 - Integrated Writing Task Carved stone balls are a curious type of artifact found at a number of locations in Scotland. They date from the late Neolithic period, around 4,000 years ago. They are round in shape; they were carved from several types o

mitra-goli2041's picture

Both the lecture and the passage is about function of carved stone balls which were found in Scotland. The passage mentiones three purposes of stone balls, while, the professor castes doubt on every single purpose by asserting some evidence.
To begin with, the reading calims that these stones were used as weapons. As, stones have holes or grooves indicating possibility to swing them, these stone could be weapons. In the contrary, the speaker rebutes this claim by stating that if these stone were used as weapon it should probably were broken or damaged while there were not. Thus, these stone were not used for hunting or fighting.
In addition, the passage declares that these stone were used for measuring wight, because the size of stones were unifrom. In the opposition, the professor indicats that the balls were made of different stones which had different density. Balls in same size which made from different stone have different wight, therefor, they would not be aplicable for measuring wight.
Finally, the writer alludes that balls have elaborate designs which makes it possible that they were used for prominent social status. While, the professor reject this idea pointing out that if they were used for presenting status, they would bury in their owner graves. But, no balls have fund in graves, thus, they did not serve this function.

Your rating: None Average: 6 (1 vote)