TPO 38 Integrated Task

TPO 38 Integrated Task

In this given set of materials, main topic is centered on methods that can be effective on protecting oak trees from microscopic fungus called "Phytophthora ramorum". While the writer puts forward three methods as cited in the passage, the professor claims that these methods have limitations which make them impractical and ineffective.

First method mentioned in the passage is to prevent Phytophthora ramorum from spreading by stopping human-assisted spread like encouraging hikers to wash their shoes and installing new bike scrubbers on bicycle trails. In response, the professor rejects this method by pointing out that water streams like rain fall is the main way that Phytophthora ramorum spreads, not the human-assisted ways. Hence, stopping Phytophthora ramorum from spreading through water streams is a very hard task to do.

Moreover, the writer notes that there are some chemicals which can be used in protecting oak trees from Phytophthora ramorum. Yet again, the professor disagrees by stating that this method is only effective when these chemicals are injected directly and on a few-month period. Also, she mentions that not only is using this method on a whole forest not practical, but it also is very expensive.

Last but not least, the professor refutes third method proposed by the writer, a practice called clear-cutting in which infected oak trees and their surrounding get destroyed, by noting that using this method may result in ecological damage and extinction to rare vegetation species.