TPO 38 Integrated

TPO 38 Integrated

Both the reading and the lecture discuss protecting the forests of the western United States from a fungus called P. ramorum. While the reading provides three possible solutions, the lecturer expresses an opposite view and gives several reasons to support her refutation.

First of all, the writer argues that stopping the spores from spreading can be a solution. However, the speaker indicates that the writer only prevents the spreading by actions of humans, whereas the spores also spread by water. Since the spores can spread by water streams and rainfalls, and this water-assisted spread is difficult to prevent, this method is not an effective way to protect the forests.

The second solution that the author gives is to use fungicidal chemicals. On the other hand, the professor points out that these chemicals need to be used directly and repeatedly to each oak tree. That is to say, although it is possible to implement when there are few trees, it is impractical and expensive to adopt this method to an entire forest.

Last but not least, the third way in the passage states that protection can be done by clear-cutting. The scholar once again opposes this idea by proposing that while clearing large areas of trees, healthy vegetation will be killed as well. Moreover, rare plants may be destroyed, causing damage to the ecological system. Accordingly, the consequence of this method is much more serious than the infections of P. ramorum and thus is unfeasible.