TPO 40 integrated

TPO 40 integrated

Both the reading and the lecture discuss whether Venus can maintain a human presence. While the reading claims that it is impossible, the professor challenges what is mentioned by the author and argues against each statement. Accordingly, he gives several reasons to support his refutation.

First of all, the writer points out that the atmospheric pressure at the surface of Venus is too large for a human to survive. However, the lecturer argues that if humans float in the air instead of standing on the surface, this problem will be solved. This is because the atmosphere pressure high in the air is much smaller than that on the surface, almost equivalent with the pressure at Earth's surface.

Secondly, the author claims that there is no oxygen and water on Venus and they need to be supplied from Earth. The scholar, on the other hand, rebuts that by using chemical materials in Venus's atmosphere, humans can make oxygen and water on Venus. By doing so, humans do not need to rely on supplements from Earth. Therefore, the second statement is not a problem.

Last but not least, the passage states that there is little sunlight at Venus's surface, so there is no enough light to prevent the electricity to power machines. The speaker once again mentions that this is not a problem if humans live high above the air. Two reasons are that clouds up there are not thick and can reflect sunlight, preventing sufficient light to power the equipment.