TPO 40 Integrated Writing Task

The author of the reading passage points out three reasons that it is unlikely to maintain a permanent human presence on Venus, all of which are refuted by the lecturer in the listening section.
To begin with, it is argued in the reading passage that atmospheric pressure at Venus' surface is much greater than the Earth's at the multiple of 90 times, which means that humans will be crushed intensely if landing on Venus. However, the lecturer rejects the argument, suggesting that the problem can be solved by building a station above the sky at 50 km. As we know, the atmospheric pressure will decrease as the height rises, as a result of which the pressure at that height can be similar to the Earth's, and it would not be dangerous for humans to live there.
Furthermore, the author believes that there is hardly any water or oxygen, which are vital substances for humans to survive on Venus' surface. Besides, ensuring a regular supply of water and oxygen from Earth is impractical as a long-term means. In contrast, the theory is considered unpersuasive in the listening section because carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and sulfuric acid, which are in abundance on Venus, can make water and oxygen. Thus, humans do not have to be worried about the lack of them.
Lastly, in contrast to the argument made in the reading passage that human cannot get electricity to power their machines and equipment, given that most of the sunlight is blocked off by the thick clouds and the dense layer of carbon dioxide, the lecturer claims that in reality there is still sunlight passes through the atmosphere. Plus, both reflected, and permeable sunlight can also be used to produce electricity.