TPO 44 Integrated Writing Task

The reading passage and the lecture are both about the existence of a European silver coin in the sate of Maine in America. While some archaeologists in the article believe that the coin is a historical fake, the professor claims it is genuine evidence that the Norse came into contact with Native Americans.

First, it is stated in the passage that there was a great distance between Maine and locations of Norse settlements in Canada, suggesting that the coin is not related to the settlements. The professor correctly notes that it was not only the coin but many other objects were found in the site. She further explains Native Americans had an interest in obtaining objects from far away locations, which infers they could have traveled to the north to buy some objects there and the coin could have been one of those.

Second, although there was no other coins found at the Canadian sites where the Norse lived, it doesn't not necessarily mean that the Norse did not bring coins with them to North America. In fact, the Norse did not sedentarily settle in America, so when they went back to Europe at some point, they must have packed all valuable possessions with them, including the coins. This explains why it is still likely that the Norse originally brought the coin to the United States.

Third, it is true silver coins were not considered money by North Americans at the time, as mentioned in the article. However, the Norse, as experience explorers, could have also known that these Americans were attracted to beautiful objects. For example, they would have wanted to use the coin as a necklace or a type of jewelry because of their aesthetic values. Therefore, it might have been possible for the Norse to trade their silver coins with the Americans in Maine.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.