TPO 45

TPO 45

The article states that using electronic medical record system has several benefits over the traditional paper-based ones and provides three reasons of support. However, the professor explains that these benefits are actually very uncertain and refutes each of the author's reasons.

First, the reading claims that the new recording system will reduce the storing and transferring costs. The lecturer refutes this point by saying that the cost reduction related to paper storage won't be significant, since doctors still have to keep the paper records for some legal reasons or as emergency backups. So, the doctors still have to pay a lot for paper storage.

Second, the article posits that using new recording system will reduce errors that are caused by poor handwritings or bad organization of data. However, the professor explains that most of the doctors will still use pen and papers while examining. He points out that the staff have to read the doctors handwriting and enter the data into the electronic system. So, there can still be the problem of interpreting the bad handwriting and that problem is not solved this way.

Third, the reading says that the researchers will have an easier access to medical databases to do their research. This argument is refuted by the professor. He says that even with the electronic databases, using the data will be difficult due to the strict privacy laws in the US. He states that the researchers have to follow many procedures in order to ask for permission to access the electronic databases. Moreover, patients can block any usage of their private data in any case rather that their own treatment.