TPO 55 integrated

TPO 55- integrated

The article states that using box-shaped devices to fight desertification in dry areas will not be successful and provides three reasons of support. However, the professor explains that using this device is worthwhile and refutes each of the author's reasons.

First of all, the reading claims that countries have to buy millions of these devices to grow millions of trees in arid areas, so it would be so expensive that many countries can not afford that. The professor, however, brings up the idea that since the devices can be used many times, this argument is not correct. Once the trees get bigger the device is removed and it can be reused to grow another tree. According to the professor, each device can be used twenty times, so if the cost is divided by the number of trees, it would be a reasonable price.

Secondly, the article posits that since many local people have harsh living conditions, it would be hard to motivate them and ask them to maintain a device which can not serve as a source of food. This point is challenged by the professor by mentioning that other rewards can motivate local people to install and maintain the devices. First of all, the water collected by the device can be used not only for the tree growth, but also for other purposes, such as growing other plant and vegetables. So, the local people can use it to grow their own vegetables. Also, once the trees grow and become large, the local people can use their branches as firewoods.

Finally, the reading asserts that due to the limited device ability, outgrown trees have to deal with such harsh conditions on their own and they may not survive. However, the professor opposes this point by saying that a tree can successfully survive severe conditions, because when young trees are attached to the device, they grow long roots, which reach the soil moist in the deep ground. So, the trees will have access to the supply of water underground. This has been proved, in the Sahara dessert, where 90 percent of the grown trees were still thriving two years after the device was removed.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.