TPO 49 Integrated Writing Task

The reading and the lecture are both contradicting each other, in terms of the navigating ability of humpback whales. The author of the article states that humpback whales can migrate long-distance by navigating starts such as human sailors did in the past and presented three theories to support the hypothesis. However, the lecturer casts doubt on the claim mentioned in the article and refutes all the theories presented in the passage.
According to the article, the first dispute focuses on the fact that humpback whales are highly intelligent marine creature which evolved with the well-developed cognitive ability to use complex sensory stimuli such as use starts for orientation. Nonetheless, the speaker negates the argument presented in the passage. Furthermore, he discusses that in fact, there are other animals like ducks are born with average intelligence level and have an ability to navigate their way. Therefore, there is no direct connection between the overall intelligence of species and their ability to navigate the stars.
Moreover, another passage highlights that since the humpback whales move into straight lines, they must use starts as external objects for long-distance migration at night. Although the narrator refutes this by asserting that whales are evolved with bio-magnetic substances in their brain which can sense the earth's magnetic field. Hence, whales utilize this power to get a straight orientation in an open ocean instead of using stars for their straight movement.
Last but not least, the text explains that the spy-hopping behavior observed in humpback whales is an effective technique whereby they can keep track of stars. On the contrary, the speaker again opposes the theory and describes that some sharks use the spy-hopping technique, but they use it to hunt other marine animals. Additionally, humpback whales are involved in the spy-hopping not only at night while stars are visible, but also, during the daylight. Thus, according to the professor, it is clearly visible that spy-hopping has nothing to do with the ability to navigate by the stars.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.