TPO-49 - Integrated Writing Task Like many creatures, humpback whales migrate long distances for feeding and mating purposes. How animals manage to migrate long distances is often puzzling. In the case of humpback whales, we may have found the answer: the

mitra-goli2041's picture

According to the passage, it is authors' conviction that Humpback whales navigate by the stars owing to some evidence. However, the professor casts doubt on this claim and rejects all the authors' points by providing some counter-arguments which will be explained in the following paragraphs.
Firstly, the reading asserts that humpback whales are intelligent enough to be capable of using the night sky for orientation. On the contrary, the lecturer rebuts this by mentioning that there is no connection between being intelligent and star navigation. He also adds an example of docks which use stars for navigation although they are not intelligent. Therefore, being intelligent is not a valid reason for using star navigation.
Secondly, the writer states that humpbacks migrate in straight lines so they should orient themselves by some objects or force. Because they are in the ocean, they can not use physical landmarks as other animals do. Hence, they are obliged to use stars. In the opposition, the professor implies that humpback can use their magnified ability for being in straight lines rather than using stars.
Thirdly, the reading postulates that spy-hopping is applied for looking at the stars. Conversely, the speaker clarifies that other animals like shark do spy-hopping for hunting so it would not be a proof for star navigation of whales. Moreover, he adds that the whales also do spy-hopping during the day, when there is no star. Hence, spy-hopping do not prove star navigation ability for whales.
In conclusion, the professor points out enough convincing evidence to rebut the authors' claim on the authenticity of the theory that whales use the star navigation for their migration.