The reading is about elephants. It states provided three popular beliefs about elephants' behaviors. Conversely, in the lecture, the professor holds a different view that these beliefs are based on misunderstanding and points to inaccuracies in each of the author's reasons.
First of all, the article asserts that elephants are aware of their time of death coming and provides elephant graveyards as an example. The lecturer refutes this point by saying that leaving the herd has another reason. The reason is that when an elephant becomes old, it will have older teeth to chew. As a result, it prefers to eat softer vegetation that is available near the water. Hence it goes there and grazes until the time of death arrives.
Secondly, the reading claims that these giant animals have art ability such as painting objects by brush. However, the professor says elephants do painting just because they are trained to paint. According to her, they have sensitive ears and the trainer uses them to train them. When an elephant put a brush on canvas, its trainer starts to send a signal to guide the elephant's action. The animal has no idea what the painting means, it just follows the orders.
Eventually, the article posits that elephants fear mice, and points to a scientific experiment. The speaker on the other side explains that elephants fear mice just because they notice mice as unfamiliar animals. Therefore misunderstand happens. She states that in the zoo, where elephants become familiar with mice, fear disappears.
- TPO 39 - Independent taskDo you agree or disagree with the following statement?In the past it was easier to identify what type of career or job would lead to a secure, successful future.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.76
- TPO 44 Integrated Writing Task71
- TPO 51 Writing IndependentDo you agree or disagree with the following statement Movies and television have more negative effects than positive effects on the way young people behave Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer67
- TPO-34 - Independent Writing TaskDo you agree or disagree with the following statement?Educating children is a more difficult task today than it was in the past because they spend so much time on cell phone, online games, and social networking Web site.Us83
- Some people prefer to take small classes fewer students such as the professors can remember students names Others like big classes lots of students which one do you prefer73
Attribute Value Ideal
Final score: 22 in 30
Category: Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 17 12
No. of Words: 251 250
No. of Characters: 1241 1200
No. of Different Words: 150 150
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 3.98 4.2
Average Word Length: 4.944 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.521 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 91 80
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 70 60
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 40 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 27 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 14.765 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 5.673 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.412 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.288 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.288 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.069 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 1 4