TPO 51 integrated

TPO 51- integrated

The article states that the human's fascination by elephants has given rise to several beliefs about their behaviors and provides three example of such beliefs. However, the professor explains that although elephants have always been interesting for humans, such beliefs are based on misunderstanding their behavior and refutes each of the beliefs mentioned by the author.

First of all, the reading claims that old elephants are aware of their upcoming death and they go to far places near water to die in solitude.This point is challenged by the professor by saying that although it is true that old elephants leave their herds, it does not mean they know they are dying. She explains that when elephants get old, they have difficulty chewing, so they leave others in search of softer vegetation that usually can be found near water. Hence, the old elephants remain and eventually die there, in a so called "elephant graveyards"

Secondly, the article posits that elephants know art and they are capable of being trained to paint objects like flower, or themselves. However, the professor says that by watching the trainings of the elephants, one can realize that their human trainer touches their ears. She elaborates on this by mentioning that the trainer have taught them certain lines and since elephants have such sensitive ears, they just paint those previously taught lines and they are not aware of the shape they are creating.

Finally, the reading states that elephants are more afraid of mices, rather than many dangerous animals. The professor challenges this point by explaining that the reason underlying elephants' fear of mices is that mices are unfamiliar creatures to them. She mentions that being cautious of the unknown is a natural instinct in animals and many of elephants that live in zoos are familiar with mices and are not afraid of them.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.