TPO 55

Essay topics

The passage provides us with three problems of using a box-shaped device surrounding the young tree while the professor has enough reasons to reject all those problems and she believes that none of them is convincing.
The first problem is that this process is not cost-effective since there are a number of trees in desert, so when their costs are accumulated, it will be so much. In stark contrast, the lecturer disagrees and thinks that this argument is not true due to some reasons. For one thing, devices can be removed after the growth of the tree and it can be reused about more than twenty times. Hence, it will not cost a lot when those numbers of trees are considered.
Lack of motivation for local people to maintain those devices is contemplated as the second problem. Although it is true if local people cannot use devices to meet their requirements like their food, the professor believes that some possible rewards can motivate them to preserve those devices. For instance, local people should have privilege to use those devices for other plants such as their vegetation. In addition, they should be allowed to use trees' branches as their fire woods. As a result, these rewards can solve that problem easily.
The last problem which the reading argues is about limitation of the devices' abilities to supply water for trees, whereas the lecturer completely refutes this point of view. She believes that as the trees grow, they increase their roots length. Consequently, their roots will reach down to sources of underground water with which they can survive. Furthermore, a study about that matter demonstrates that about 90 percent of trees in a desert keep thriving two years after the removal of those devices. Hence, this problem is solved and there is no need to be anxious about that anymore.