TPO 56

Essay topics

Both the passage and the lecture discuss the purpose of carved stone balls found in Scotland that dates back to around 4000 years ago. The article proposes several applications for these artifacts. On the other hand, the professor argues that these theories are unconvincing and opposes each one.

First, the passage claims that carved stone balls were used as weapons for fighting or hunting. Nevertheless, the professor denies this view and describes that all common Neolithic weapons, such as arrows and axes, had signs of wear. If these artifacts were used as weapons, they should have cracks, and some pieces were broken off. The surfaces of carved stone balls are generally smooth, and there is no sign of any damage, so they were not used as weapons.

Second, the reading states that they all have the same size, so they were used as a primitive system of weights and measures. Nonetheless, the lecturer rejects this idea and illustrates that although they had the same size, their mass was different from one another. They were made of various stones, and each of these stones has a specific density. As a result, they have different weights, and they cannot be used as a weighing system.

Finally, the author indicates that these carved stone balls had a social purpose representing their owners' status. However, the speaker refutes it, saying that even though some of them were carved intricately, many of them had simple carvings. Moreover, at that time, if someone died, they would bury their possessions with them. None of these carved stone balls were found in the tombs or graves. Therefore, it is unlikely that they were personal possessions and mark the person's status in the community.