TPO 56

TPO 56

The reading and the lecture are both talks about possible explanations about the 52-hertz whale. The author provides three theories about the 52-hertz whale. The lecturer, however, finds dubious and casts doubt on reasons proposed by the reading passage.
According to the reading, some scientists believe that may the whale is a hybrid. Conversely, this specific argument is challenged by the lecturer. He claims that all other hybrid whales tend to migrate like other normal species. Additionally, he points out that the pattern of the whale movements during decades clarified the fact that the whale did not have a migration pattern as other hybrid whales.
Furthermore, the reading passage holds the view that may the hearing sense of the whale was damaged and he could not learn how to communicate with others. On the contrary, the lecturer asserts that the high pitch noise that the whale makes depends on the physical structure of his throat. He goes on to say that making high pitch sounds in most of the animals related to characteristics of their throat and it does not depend on the sense of hearing.
Finally, the author posits that maybe the whale is the only member of his rare species. In contrast, the lecturer's stance is that the whale must have parents, and scientists have been monitoring whales for decades. He notes that the scientists might recognize the whale's parents during the past years, therefore the whale is not the last member of the rare species.