TPO 8 – Integrated

TPO 8 – Integrated

Both the reading and lecture discuss about accuracy of Chevalier's memoir and how it could be reliable. The reading, based on three evidence, claims that there are some doubts about trustworthy of his memoir. However, the lecture casts a shadow of doubt about what the author mentions and presents some evidence to refute them all.

First of all, in the reading passage, the author argues that Chevalier was not a rich person because of borrowing money from a Swiss merchant. In contrast, the lecture brings up the view that he spent their money on parties and gambling, and it took time to get back his money. As a result, he borrow some money until he could convert his asserts to cash and used them.

Secondly, the lecture asserts that Chevalier wrote the details of his conversation with Voltaire exactly after the end of it. Therefore, he could remember everything and noted them on the some papers with accuracy. Whereas, many years after this date, he decided to publish the details of his conversation based on his notes, but this directly contradicts what the passage indicates.

Finally, it was proved that, on the contrary the reading passage, Chevalier could escape from prison. The lecture posits that there are a lot of old government documents related to his escape and contain much information. Moreover, the ceiling of the prison where he made a hole and ran away was repaired. As a result, these are the clues of his escape.

discuss about accuracy of Chevalier's memoir
discuss about the accuracy of Chevalier's memoir

he borrow some money
he borrowed some money

Be sensitive to use 'it', 'them'.