tpo13

Essay topics: tpo13

Laura123's picture

In the reading passage, it is indicated that the commercialization of fossil discoveries and collections could be harmful for both the investigation of fossils and the development of science. Which the professor talks about the same topic, they hold different positions, and the professor explains her opinions specifically.

Firstly, as suggested in the reading article, private collections could forbid the public to see the fossils and let them finally lose their curiosity of ancient fossils. However, the presenter argues that it is the private collectors who has been increasing the exposure of fossils to people, while the collections belongs to schools and public institutions do not allowed to be exhibited in front of the public.

Moreover, the reading states the concern of private commercial collectors with limited knowledge about fossil could waste the scientific source and leave some important discoveries unachievable. In fact, the lecture introduces in details that a basic procedure before fossils becoming valuable is letting scientific experts examine them and dig the whole information of them first. Hence, the worry in the reading passage is unreasonable and unnecessary at all.

Finally, in the reading, it worries about some information might be missing forever since private collectors often damage the position messages from fossils when they were laying underground. But the professor believes that we have gained more in commercial diggings than loss, because most of the fossils was exposed to the surface by private sectors. Universities and scientific institutions have little power in finding fossils, more evidence would be completely undiscovered if the private collection was forbidden.