Essay topics: tpo18.
Both the reading and listening parts offer two opposite viewpoints about the methods for saving the endanger Torreya trees. While the passage lists three solutions to prevent the possible extinction, the lecturer considers them as unsatisfactory.
First of all, the text posits that the reestablishing the Torreya in the same location, in which is wet and cool and Torreya survived for thousands of years, can be an effective option to prevent the extinction. However, the instructor casts doubt on the validity of this plan. As she explains, there is striking alteration in the ecological condition of this place, it is neither wet nor cool. There is the possibility that based on global warming and drained wetland this specific spot gets warmer and drier. Consequently, this place does not provide that suitable location for Torreya to survive.
Secondly, the article motions to the complete alteration of location and moving Torreya to further north to help it to survive; on the contrary, the professor refutes this idea too. As she asserts the same plan is implemented in another case, and that endangered species in its new territory grow in the high and invasive way that killed other native animals and plants of that region and put them in the risk of extinction. Thus, this transportation can lead to other unpredictable outcomes.
Finally, meanwhile, the passage purposes the preserving the Torreya in research centers to monitor them easily, the professor rejects this proposal too. As she describes, the preserved species in the research centers are not resistance in illness. The main factor for persisting the disease is the genetical diversity; on the other hand since the research center does not possess the high compacity to cover the entire diversities, the trees kept in the research centers are in danger of disease. So, the purpose of keeping trees in the research center cannot protect them too.
- 17.The following appeared in a memo from the director of a large group of hospitals."In a laboratory study of liquid antibacterial hand soaps, a concentrated solution of UltraClean produced a 40 percent greater reduction in the bacteria population th (58)
- The following appeared in a letter from a firm providing investment advice to a client."Homes in the northeastern United States, where winters are typically cold, have traditionally used oil as their major fuel for heating. Last year that region expe (54)
- 1.The main benefit of the study of history is to dispel the illusion that people living now are significantly different from people who lived in earlier times.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the stateme (50)
- The following appeared in a memo from the president of Bower Builders, a company that constructs new homes."A nationwide survey reveals that the two most-desired home features are a large family room and a large, well-appointed kitchen. A number of h (58)
- . Many important discoveries or creations are accidental: it is usually while seeking the answer to one question that we come across the answer to another.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement a (66)
- 14.The following appeared in a memo from the vice president of marketing at Dura-Sock, Inc."A recent study of our customers suggests that our company is wasting the money it spends on its patented Endure manufacturing process, which ensures that our (60)
- 1.In order for any work of art — for example, a film, a novel, a poem, or a song — to have merit, it must be understandable to most people.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain y (58)
- The following appeared in an editorial in a business magazine."Although the sales of Whirlwind video games have declined over the past two years, a recent survey of video-game players suggests that this sales trend is about to be reversed. The survey (44)
- 1.The effectiveness of a country's leaders is best measured by examining the well-being of that country's citizens.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for (66)
- Humans arrived in the Kaliko Islands about 7,000 years ago, and within 3,000 years most of the large mammal species that had lived in the forests of the Kaliko Islands had become. Yet humans cannot have been a factor in the species' extinctions, because t (43)