TPO21 Integrated Task

Essay topics

Both the reading and the lecture discuss whether planting genetic modification trees is beneficial or not. The reading states three advantages of planting this kind of tree. However, the professor disagrees with the reading by stating three refutations.

First of all, the reading passage proposes that genetically modified trees are more likely to survive than natural trees. Yet, the professor opposes because high resistance of the genetic modification tree cannot ensure its survival. Since more genetic diversity can make a higher survival for plants, the genetically uniform trees may be wiped out and die in pest invasion or climate change. Thus, she thinks the genetic modification trees do not have a survival advantage.

Secondly, the passage mentions that genetically modified trees can bring a number of economic benefits to farmers. Nevertheless, the scholar contradicts the reading statement by explaining that this planting approach may have a hidden cost. Due to the legal legislation, the farmers have to pay for the seed to plant. Additionally, the company will charge farmers for each seed planting, making it less profitable. Therefore, she believes that planting genetic modification trees will not have a cost advantage.

Last but not least, the passage states that planting genetic trees can prevent the overexploitation of wild trees. Nonetheless, the speaker disputes the statement by arguing that this approach may cause more damage to the native trees. Since the genetically modified trees are more aggressive, they will crowd out among the native trees. Furthermore, they will outcompete the wild trees with natural resources such as water and sunlight. Hence, she thinks planting genetically modified trees is big harm to the native environment.

In conclusion, the professor disagrees with the reading statement. That is, she thinks the genetic modification tree may not ensure its high survival, cannot be profitable and will cause a serious invasive problem.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.

better to have 4 paragraphs:
para 1: introduction
para 2: doubt 1
para 3: doubt 2
para 4: doubt 3