TPO27 Integrated Task

TPO27- Integrated Task

The reading and the lecture are both about the reasons of little ice age. Whereas the author of the reading states that there are some reasons that made the earth cooler and cause the little ice age, the lecturer suggests that those reasons are not convincing. The lecturer casts doubt on the main points made in the reading by providing three reasons.
First of all, according to the reading, the warm weather that melted glaciers conveyed a cold water current to the ocean that caused climate changing. However, the lecturer disputes this point. He says that this theory just can explain the cool weather in Europe and North America but not other places like New Zealand and South Africa.
Secondly, the reading states that the volcanic eruption made dark clouds, so these clouds block the sunlight to come into the earth's atmosphere. As a result, the temperature had been decreased and consequently, the little ice age occurred. Nevertheless, the lecturer refutes this argument. He argues that if we believe the theory of volcanic eruptions, there should have been striking visual effects, for example, colorful sunset or grey snow but there was no such a report from people. Consequently, this reason is not strong enough to explain the little ice age.
Finally, the reading claims that decreasing the human population at that time cause trees to be increased due to lower agriculture requirements. Therefore, the amount of carbon dioxide had been decreased and as a result, made the climate cooler. On the other hand, the lecturer believes that there was not enough time for forests to make the earth climate cooler. To explain more, this reason needs a more long time to impact the climate, while there was not this amount of time.