Essay topics: TPO30_Q1 (listen twice)
The article claims that the Greeks never really built a burning mirror and it is just a myth and provides three reason of support. However the professor explains that the claims which the reading states, are not convincing. He refutes each of the author's reasons.
First, the reading passage claims that the ancient Greek was not technologically advanced enough to build the burning mirror. The professor refutes this point by saying that manufacturing of the burning mirror do not need a large sheet of copper. According to the professor, flat pieces of copper could arrange to a large mirror, he also states that it could make by assembling small mirror.
Second, the article posits that the burning mirror would have taken a long time to burn a ship especially while it’s moving. However, the professor says that the author assumes that it was just wood on fire although the ships was not just made of wood. Other materials which were fired quickly are existed. For example 'Peach' catch fire in seconds even the ship was moving.
Third, the reading says that flaming arrows which was as effective at about the same distance as the burning mirror, was a common way of setting the ships on fire. The professor opposes this point by explaining that Roman soldier were familiar with the flaming arrows but by using burning mirror they couldn't see who raised fire they just saw the mirror, so the burning mirror was more effective
- TPO 45 (3)
- tpo45-Q1 (3)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Parents do not understand their children as much as well as did 50 years ago. (rewrite) (73)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Parents do not understand their children as much as well as did 50 years ago. (73)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Visiting museums is the best way to learn about a country. (63)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? In 20 years from now on, students will not use printed books any more. (71)
- tpo42 (66)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? The purpose of television is to educate, not to entertain. (76)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Teachers should assign homework for students every dayBut the big argument among teachers is that how much homework is enough for students? do they do assignment every day? (73)
- tpo40-Q1-rewrite (80)