TPO31 Integrated Task

TPO31- Integrated Task

The reading and the lecture are both about the lines found in a dinosaur's fossil named Sinosauropteryx. Whereas the author of the reading states that there are many different reasons that prove the lines can't be the evidence of Sinosauropteryx's feather, the lecturer suggests that these reasons are not convincing and the lines are the evidence of feather. The lecturer casts doubt on the main points made in the reading by providing three reasons.
First of all, according to the reading, the lines in the fossil were made after dinosaur's death. The author of the reading argues that dinosaur's skin, which is buried in the volcanic ash, decomposed to the fiber that is similar to the feather. However, the lecturer disputes this point. She says that these lines can't be made after death and decomposition because this kind of fiber can't be seen for other animals buried in the same site.
Secondly, the reading states that many dinosaurs had frills and the lines are more likely to be remains of frills in the fossil. Nevertheless, the lecturer refutes this argument. She argues that there are some chemical differences between feathers and frills. To explain more, she points out feather contains beta carotene but there is no beta carotene in frills structure. Since scientists found beta carotene in the fossil, so the lines are made due to the existence of feathers.
Finally, the reading claims that while feathers are used for flying or matching the body temperature, and the lines located at the backbone and tale of the Sinosauropteryx, so the lines can't be made by the feather. On the other hand, the lecturer believes that there are some other animals like birds that use their feather for other capabilities except flying. For example, the peacock has long feathers on its tale but don't use them for flying. She thinks that while scientists found out that the structures were colorful, it seems that dinosaurs used feathers to display.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.