TPO34 (integrated)

TPO34 (integrated)

In this set of materials, both the reading passage and the lecture discussed possible causes of Steller's see cow extinction. The reading proposed three likely actions that affect this phenomenon. However, the lecture repudiated what stated in the reading passage resting upon fallacious premises and provides three counterclaims proofing that there are problems with those actions to be considered as major factor for that extinction.

Firstly, the reading argued that overhunting was a significant factor, which leads to that extinction. The professor contradicted this point by acknowledging that, considering the low population of native in past, as the sea cows were huge and enormous in size, even if Siberian people hunted them as a source of food they could not be blamed for the occurred extinction.

Secondly, the reading claimed that, ecosystem disturbances caused a dramatic decline in sea cows’ main source food, kelp. Notwithstanding, the professor highlighted that if those disturbance were really a major factor, they would have affect other marine animals, like whales. Consequently, there were no indication for food shortage.

Lastly, the article contended that it sounds reasonable to blame European fur traders for overhunting sea cows in 1741. This seemed incorrect as explained in the lecture. The speaker articulated that soon after European arrived the island sea cows’ population fell off largely. Logically , they were not effective in that extinction.