Essay topics: tpo41
Both the reading and listening parts offer two opposite views about the regulations for handling and storing coal ash. While the passage lists three disadvantages of restricted rule, the professor refutes all of them and claims some clues to call them into the questions.
First of all, the text highlights the existed regulations as the accountable rules for controlling the handling and storing coal ash. On the other hand, the lecturer rejects the sufficiency of those regulations. As she explains, the current law about the usage of the liner is required merely for new landfills and disposal pound which does not prevent the environmental hazardous of coal ash. As old landfills and pounds are exceptional from this law, they can release coal ash in the environment which leaks into the groundwater and contaminate the drinking waters. Consequently, the existed law is not sufficient to prevent controlling and storing coal ash.
Secondly, the article asserts that this regulation could cause the concern which prevents people from purchasing the stuff with recycled coal ash. On the contrary, the instructor casts doubt on the accuracy of this assertion by providing an example of people's reaction toward other dangerous substance recycled materials. According to her assertion, the handling and storage of Mercury, which is a hazards substance, are also monitored very strictly; however, people do not show worry about the use of its recycling in the other materials. Therefore, the control would not affect people's attitude toward materials made by recycled coal ash.
Finally, meanwhile, the passage assumes that the increased cost of electricity which would not be welcomed by the public as another issue of this regulation; the professor, on the other hand, rejects this assumption too. As she describes this monitoring would cost 50 billion dollars for power companies and is a wealthy cost. Otherwise, by the division of entire cost among the families, there will be one percent increment in average electricity cost for pre-family which is a petty expense in comparison to owning a healthy environment.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|1 month 2 weeks ago||jeffhjz||83||Read full essay|
|2 months 2 days ago||yqkqknct||73||Read full essay|
|2 months 1 week ago||shrjhn1234||80||Read full essay|
|2 months 1 week ago||MinaSh||65||Read full essay|
|2 months 1 week ago||MinaSh||90||Read full essay|
|3 months 1 week ago||Rasna James||80||Read full essay|
|4 months 1 day ago||Seema Modak||85||Read full essay|
|4 months 3 days ago||Negarh185||3||Read full essay|
|4 months 3 days ago||Negarh185||86||Read full essay|
|4 months 1 week ago||Jenny_kazu||80||Read full essay|
- 17.The following appeared in a memo from the director of a large group of hospitals."In a laboratory study of liquid antibacterial hand soaps, a concentrated solution of UltraClean produced a 40 percent greater reduction in the bacteria population th (58)
- The following appeared in a letter from a firm providing investment advice to a client."Homes in the northeastern United States, where winters are typically cold, have traditionally used oil as their major fuel for heating. Last year that region expe (54)
- 1.The main benefit of the study of history is to dispel the illusion that people living now are significantly different from people who lived in earlier times.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the stateme (50)
- The following appeared in a memo from the president of Bower Builders, a company that constructs new homes."A nationwide survey reveals that the two most-desired home features are a large family room and a large, well-appointed kitchen. A number of h (58)
- . Many important discoveries or creations are accidental: it is usually while seeking the answer to one question that we come across the answer to another.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement a (66)
- 14.The following appeared in a memo from the vice president of marketing at Dura-Sock, Inc."A recent study of our customers suggests that our company is wasting the money it spends on its patented Endure manufacturing process, which ensures that our (60)
- 1.In order for any work of art — for example, a film, a novel, a poem, or a song — to have merit, it must be understandable to most people.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain y (58)
- The following appeared in an editorial in a business magazine."Although the sales of Whirlwind video games have declined over the past two years, a recent survey of video-game players suggests that this sales trend is about to be reversed. The survey (44)
- 1.The effectiveness of a country's leaders is best measured by examining the well-being of that country's citizens.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for (66)
- Humans arrived in the Kaliko Islands about 7,000 years ago, and within 3,000 years most of the large mammal species that had lived in the forests of the Kaliko Islands had become. Yet humans cannot have been a factor in the species' extinctions, because t (43)