Professor In class today we are going to talk about grading students Before you come to class I want you to think about whether grades are beneficial On one hand they provide a way to measure students progress On the other hand some argue that grades are

Professor: In class today, we are going to talk about grading students. Before you come to class, I want you to think about whether grades are beneficial. On one hand, they provide a way to measure students’ progress. On the other hand, some argue that grades are too focused on performance and don’t provide an accurate picture of a student’s overall academic abilities. If you had to choose, would you say that students should be given grades or not? Why?

Lila: I think that students should not be given grades. Grades create a needlessly competitive environment and can make students feel like they are only valued for their academic performance. When students feel that grades are the most important thing, they get discouraged. Instead of giving specific grades, teachers should provide personal feedback that helps students understand what they need to improve and how they can do so. I think that approach leads to more academic success.

Jake: I believe that grades are the only way for students to understand how well they are doing and the only way to motivate them to work harder. Without grades, there would be no way to measure their progress or to identify areas where they need to improve. Moreover, grades prepare students for the real world where they will be judged based on their performance. The only way for adults to advance in their careers is to consistently perform well, and grading children prepares them for that.

In my opinion, grading is one of the systems in education that continue to exist. I strongly agree with Jake's opinion that grading is the only way to students realize how well they understand the subject and it will further motivates them. I would also add that the world population is increasing day by day. Hence, competition between people are getting more serious. So, grading is a system that can help person with higher discipline and persistent and smartness to demonstrate them among their peers. I believe that grading is good way to reflect a person's higher qualities and knowledge. Hence, it must be there as a filtering strategy for competent people to rise above.
Lila raised a relevant point that students get discouraged by grading. It is true that grading causes some form of discrimination, but she missed the point that in fact grading makes the student to become less discouraged and more effective in studying. Without grading, students will not have any motivation to push them forward as we know people tend to get lazy.
Overall, though, I think students should be given grades based on their performances.