Professor Today we re going to discuss the impact of social media on society On one hand social media platforms like Facebook Twitter and Instagram have connected people from all over the world However there are concerns about the negative effects of soci

Professor: Today, we’re going to discuss the impact of social media on society. On one hand, social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram have connected people from all over the world. However, there are concerns about the negative effects of social media, such as the spread of misinformation, the rise of cyberbullying, and addiction to social media use. What do you think? Does social media cause more harm than good?

Sarah: I think that social media has caused more harm than good. While it’s true that social media platforms have connected people in unprecedented ways, they have also caused real harm to individuals and societies. Additionally, when people spend too much time on social media platforms, they could suffer from mental health problems such as anxiety and depression. This is probably because they allow people to anonymously bully and harass other users.

Mark: I think that social media has mostly improved society. For instance, it has given a voice to people that previously were ignored. Moreover, it has provided platforms for political activism that has led to positive change. And, of course, social media has made it easy for everyone to stay connected to family and friends who are far away. In the past we had to make expensive phone calls to contact our loved ones, now we can talk to them and send them pictures for free on social networks.

In my opinion, social media has caused more good than harm. I strongly agree with Mark's point that social media has improved our society. I would add also that thanks to social media, our opportunities have increased drastically. Previously, it was difficult to connect or search for a person that we want to connect. But now, we have an easy access to it . For example, I'm a science student myself and I need to connect certain world class scientific authors from my particular field. So, just finding their emails or even twitter account name, I can easily connect to them thanks to the social media.
Sarah raised a relevant point that social media is causing harms to people such as people are spending their most of valuable times on it. But, I think she missed the point that spending time more on social media by right has a great potential in a good way. To be more specific, we can learn many more subjects freely and improve our skills while taking online classes or having connection with link minded individuals on various social groups.
Overall thought, I think social media has made life better in many ways.