Rembrandt is the most famous of the seventeenth century Dutch painters However there are doubts whether some paintings attributed to Rembrandt were actually painted by him One such painting is known as attributed to Rembrandt because of its style and

The reading and the lecture are both about Rembrandt’s inconsistent painting. The author of the reading casts doubts Rembrandt’s did not paint the masterpiece. The lecturer challenges the claims made by the author. She is of the opinion that Rembrandt really made the painting.

To begin with, the author argues that there is something inconsistent about the woman’s dress. Her hat is white linen cap which was worn only by servants but her dress is really expensive. The article mentions that Rembrandt is delicate so he did not miss that part. The specific argument is challenged by the lecturer. He claims that in the original painting the woman was wearing only white dress. However, the Rembrandt just added to the work of art to increase the painting’s quality and value.

Secondly, the writer suggests Rembrandt was a master of painting light and dark. In the article, it is said that in his paint, her neck’s shadow is not clean. He is master the shadow so people thought if he drew this paint he has to paint the shadow. The lecturer, however, rebuts this by mentioning original paint woman wears light and shadow’s balance is good. In addition, if you remove the added parts from the painting, you could see the work of light and shadow of Rembrandt.

Finally, the author posits that look at the paint’s back on a panel made of several pieces of wood glued together. Moreover, it is stated in the article that Rembrandt sometimes used the panel but he did not use several pieces of wood. In contrast, the lecturer’s position is that there was some wood added in order to increase the quality and value of the painting. Furthermore, when they added collar to the painting, they had to add wood too. This was the result of the glued woods but that does not mean it was not made by Rembrandt.