Rembrandt is the most famous of the seventeenth century Dutch painters However there are doubts whether some paintings attributed to Rembrandt were actually painted by him One such painting is known as attributed to Rembrandt because of its style and inde

The article states that one painting, portrait of an Elderly Woman in white Bonnet is not actually painted by Rembrandt, to whom it was previously attributed to and gives three reasons for support. However, the professor says, a recent study of that painting by experts reveals it is the original work of Rembrandt and refutes each of the author's reasons.

First, the reading claims that the woman in the portrait is wearing a luxurious fur collar that no servant could afford and Rembrandt has never painted with such inconsistency. The professor refutes this point by saying, the fur collar was added over the original painting. She explains that it was added to increase the value of the painting by showing the portrait of an aristocratic woman instead of a servant.

Second, the article posits that the face of the woman should appear partially in shadow, but the face is illuminated. However, the professor says that according to the original painting, the illumination is justified. She explains that in the original painting the woman is wearing a light-colored collar, so that is why the face is illuminated completely.

Third, the reading says that the painting was painted on a panel of glued wooden blocs, whereas the Rembrandts painting were not in this way. The professor opposes this point by saying, that additional woodblocks were added after the painting was modified, in order to give it a grand look and increase its value. She also states that the original painting is made of a single wood panel only.