TOEFl Integrated writing Task The Pluto War

The reading and the lecture are both about Pluto. While the author of the article argues that why Pluto is not a planet in solar system anymore, the lecture disputes the claims presented in the article. Her position is that IUC’s decision about Pluto is wrong.

According to the reading passage, August 24th 2006, Pluto lost status because of several reasons. The article mentions that Pluto is interfering with Uranus’s orbit. The argument is challenged by the lecturer. She claims that IUC’s decision is not fair. Additionally, she points out that more than 10000 people, less than 500 vote for this problem, so this resolution is not general.
Secondly, the author suggests Pluto size is too small. In the article notes that it smaller than other moons, so it is hard to determine for a planet. The lecturer, however, asserts that it is clear the neighborhood around its orbit such as Earth, Mars, Neptune. She goes on to say that Pluto is a planet in the solar system.

Finally, the author puts forth the idea that people will forget Pluto quickly. The author contends that the next generation will learn eight planets and think nothing of all. In contrast, the lecturer’s stance is that people can not forget it. She says that people who love Pluto made Pluto Planet Day in New Mexico. Therefore, escaping people’s memories is very hard.