TPO8-Q3

Speaking topics in audio
Speaking topics in text

TPO8-Q3

Music coming to cafeterias

Mary Dixon, Director of the Student Life Committee, announced yesterday that beginning next semester, university cafeterias will broadcast classical music during mealtimes. “Music will foster a more relaxed atmosphere,” said Dixon. “Students’ lives are hectic, and mealtimes provide important opportunities to take a break and catch up with friends before moving on to the next class or assignment.” Added Dixon, “We’re also hoping that, if we provide the music, students will unplug their personal music devices—their Walkmans™ and MP3 players or whatever—and will spend more time talking to each other. When students have their headphones on, they’re not connecting with each other.”

Speaking recording
Speaking category

My speaking text

The newspaper article announces that the university cafeteria is going to play classical music during mealtime and provides two reasons to support this but the man disagrees with the plan and rejects both reasons. First, he states that students do not need to get relaxed during lunchtime, especially when the exams or the assignments that they have to get done are at hand because they need to concentrate during their break time and the music will be distracting. Secondly, he declares that nobody likes classical music and the students will be more likely to bring their own walkmans and mp3 players to block out classical music and listen to their favorite music over their own player devices.