application letter

application letter

Dear Prof. ...,

I am writing for the prospective PhD position under your skilled supervision. I have recently graduated in Civil Engineering for master program from ....

My M.Sc. thesis, entitled “Research and Development of Homogenization Method for Micropile-Raft Foundation” was conducted under the tutelage of Professor ... In the main part of my thesis, a new approach as well as a new formulation for homogenization has been developed. A Micropile-raft foundation has been analyzed using both direct and homogenization approaches. After comparing the results of the analysis, sufficient accuracy of homogenization approach using proposed homogenization method has been approved. Furthermore, the proposed method compare to Equivalent Pier Method (another homogenization method suggested by Polous, 1980), was more accurate in both 3D and 2D numerical software and utilizable in software based on Winkler’s model of elastic foundation. From my Master thesis, I presented three papers in national and international conferences and also my journal paper is under revision. The list of publications are available in my attached CV.

In addition to master degree thesis, I have carried out the seismic performance of earth dam, investigation of the static and seismic performance of gravity-blocked type quay wall focusing on liquefaction potential of backfill soil and overall stability of structure of the quay wall (permanent displacement and surface tilt of the deck).

I have studied your papers “Numerical and Centrifuge Modeling of Seismic Soil–Foundation Structure Interaction on Liquefiable Ground,”, “Effect of Ground Motion Characteristics on 2 Seismic Soil-Foundation-Structure Interaction” and “Evaluation of 1-D seismic site response modeling of sand using centrifuge experiments” and found your research very interesting, specially, your numerical results verification with experimental tests. In addition, after searching some papers about foundation on liquefiable soils, the idea of investigating the reinforced foundations (with piles or other elements) and the effect of treatment on the results, came into my mind. I can also present some detailed topics and proposals with comprehensive literature review, if you are interested in.

My research interests include liquefaction, geotechnical earthquake engineering, foundation engineering as well as unsaturated soils and I am truly motivated for doing research and learning more in this fields. I was wondering if there is any chance for me to join your research group and do my PhD studies under your supervision. Attached please find my CV.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

In the main part of my thesis, a new approach as well as a new formulation for homogenization has been developed
In the main part of my thesis, a new approach with a new formulation for homogenization has been developed

the proposed method compare to Equivalent Pier Method, was more accurate
the proposed method comparing to Equivalent Pier Method, was more accurate

Sentence: I have studied your papers Numerical and Centrifuge Modeling of Seismic Soil?Foundation Structure Interaction on Liquefiable Ground,, Effect of Ground Motion Characteristics on 2 Seismic Soil-Foundation-Structure Interaction and Evaluation of 1-D seismic site response modeling of sand using centrifuge experiments and found your research very interesting, specially, your numerical results verification with experimental tests.
Suggestion: Refer to results and verification

Sentence: My research interests include liquefaction, geotechnical earthquake engineering, foundation engineering as well as unsaturated soils and I am truly motivated for doing research and learning more in this fields.
Description: A determiner/pronoun, singular is not usually followed by a noun, plural, common
Suggestion: Refer to this and fields