SOP

SOP

Mechanical Engineering was my first choice in the process of field selection for attending university since I had obtained sufficient information about available potentials in the industry. I did my best on the university entrance exam thus I could succeed to attend Isfahan University of Technology (IUT) in my favorite field and it was my first scholastic achievement. By having access to great professors in this university I could broaden my horizon to build a solid foundation in engineering.
In undergraduate level, my interest became more focused. It was Fluid mechanic and heat transfer that captured my interest. Therefore, I needed to be cautious about these subjects. Fortunately, taking these courses with Prof. Nili and Prof. Azimian - who were specialized on their fields - was a great opportunity for me to acquire theoretical knowledge. I voluntary did some extra projects for these courses that distinct me in the class. However, it wasn't the only field in which I was dominant. I had found myself talented on computer programming too, which led me to Computational Fluid Dynamic (CFD) field. I was fascinated with the complex problems that can be solved easily by applying CFD. Therefore, I attended to a CFD group at Mechanical Engineering Department of IUT. The more I learned about this field, the more I motivated.
Taking a proper decision in the last year of the university is a crucial step for every student in my country. While most of my friends were preparing themselves for Master entrance exam, I picked a different way because I wasn't interest in doing Master at that time. I felt what is going to satisfy me is doing a CFD project using my acquired knowledge and skills. However, making an important decision like this required taking advice from an experienced person. The first logical choice that I could make was to share my intentions with Prof. Nili who knew me well. He welcomed me to ask for any information that I needed; moreover, he offered me a project that I couldn't reject. He proposed doing a numerical investigation on Vortex Tube device. I was excited because only a limited number of undergraduate students were qualified for doing such project for their B.Sc. dissertation. It was some kind of dramatic to be offered with something that was my obsession for a long time; so, how could I reject it?
I was determined to accomplish the project. Although, I had part-time work due to financial problems, I assigned special time in a week to learn about Ansys-CFX. Furthermore, I searched about similar works that have done before on this device, which helped me to advance my research skills. I myself could make a considerable improvement with project by applying my background knowledge. However, I faced some minor problems with setting up the process that I could solve them with getting a hand from my supervisor and graduate friends. Finally, my supervisor – Prof. Nilli- was impressed with my obtained result.
With graduation approaching, gaining practical experience was the last remaining factor to improve my background. I had another opportunity to excel myself by doing my internship in National Iranian South Oilfields Company at Aghajari. Fortunately, my brother is an experienced engineer there who could arrange my arrival. There I was an assistant to help an expert engineer – Mr. Ashtari- who was one of the top persons in Middle East who was certificated to service Rolls-Royce Turbines. His supervisions was like a bridge which connected my theoretical knowledge to the real word of industrial. By observing the delicacy of tiny parts such as airfoils on the performance of huge turbines, I got full understanding about a mechanical engineer responsibilities.
After graduation with these honors from IUT, I passed Iran's National M.S. entrance exam and I could attend to master level in my own country, but I didn’t want to. Many people have asked me why I did not proceed directly to graduate studies. The answer is that I wanted to make sure that I had chosen the right subject and the right place before embarking on a course of study that would involve many years of my life. So, I though completing military service at this time may be the best beneficial option for my life. Although I knew it will take 21 month to complete this service, I believed it is worth doing because I could consider applying abroad as an option just after completing this service. I served as a teaching officer during military service since my commanders were aware of my education background and potentials. Thus, I experienced a memorable time in Iran's Army. Now I am free to choose many options such as getting a job or pursuing graduation study in Iran, However I intend to study abroad and further my interdisciplinary adventure in the CFD field.

First of all, I chose turkey as my priority option since short distance between Iran and turkey and their culture's resemblance can make me conveniently absorb the features of both societies, in other words, these parameters are highly effective in selecting country. On the next step, I’m seeking a Mechanical Engineering Department with high-level research programs in turkey in order to express my goal clearly. I’m going to pursue my graduate studies there for M.S. degree. I believe that in this period, I have obtained the capability and efficiency to perform thorough deep investigation on the topics of my interest which are Computational Fluid Dynamic, Heat transfer and Energy conservation. Combining my talent with hard work, I am passionate to discover beyond the corners of my major, where there are always new undiscovered directions lying in wait, and I believe my strong background proves that I am qualified enough to do so. Besides, to be more realistic, I see myself to work as an academic or a research engineer of a large company. These have always been my objectives in the last three years and I have actively worked for them. I believe that the world stands aside to let anyone who knows where he is going pass and this motivates me to work harder toward my goals.
My intention for applying to M.S. Program at Bilkent University is due to its honorable faculty, high quality of study, and strong research facilities, where researchers combine theory with technology to deal with challenging practical problems. According to all of my advisors and some of my friends, studying at Bilkent University Mechanical Engineering Department, it has always had a remarkable high rank among other departments with an active and competitive atmosphere for research and study. In addition, I contacted Prof. Biancofiore at this Department who has research interests similar to mine. I hope he and admission committee find in me a deserving and creditable student for your renowned university. It would be a great pleasure and honor for me if given a chance to ensue my graduate studies at your highly esteemed university.

I voluntary did some extra projects
I voluntarily did some extra projects

because I wasn't interest in doing Master at that time.
because I wasn't interested in doing Master at that time.

I had part-time work
I had a part-time job