TPO 28 Task 1

TPO 28 Task 1

The author claims that Robert E. Peary reached to the North Pole and provides three evidences. However, the professor argues that all these evidences are not strong enough to prove that Peary reached North Pole.

First, the reading states that the committee of the National Geographic Society proved that all accounts of Peary are true. On the other hand, the lecturer refutes that by saying that the members of the committee are friends to Peary and they contributed money for the trip, so their claims are not trustworthy. Also Peary himself claims that the committee did not cover all his work. Thus, we cannot depend on this committee.

Second, the writer explains that the expedition of Avery took the same length of time to reach North Pole which was 37 days. In contrast, the professor opposes that by telling us that it is true that Avery used the same kind of dogs and dog sled, but the weight was different. Avery did not take his food with him. The food was transported by airplane. Accordingly, Avery weight was lighter than Peary, and he, Avery, could reach faster than Peary. In addition, the weather conditions during Avery’s trip were good while during Peary's trip was unsuitable. Again these evidences refute Peary's accounts.

Finally, the author describes photographs that were taken by Peary while he is in the North Pole can be used to measure the surfs of the sun at that time. On the contrary, the professor disagrees by stating that the shadow of the sun in photographs cannot be measured because these photos are “primitive and fussy” and they are fading within time. So we cannot measure the position of the surfs sun from these photos to make sure that the surfs sun is the same as today.

all these evidences are not strong enough to prove that Peary reached North Pole.
all these evidences are not strong enough to prove that Peary has/had reached North Pole.

the lecturer refutes that by saying that
the lecturer refutes the statement by saying that //don't use a lot of 'that'

the professor opposes that by telling us that
the professor opposes the opinion by telling us that

the author describes photographs that were taken by Peary while he is in the North Pole can be used to measure
the author describes photographs ... can be used to measure //look, there are two verbs in one sentence